Tuesday, August 1, 2017

SOL Tuesday: Computer Success!

            Last year, my math/computer whiz niece set up a router to extend the wi-fi range of my Internet network into the kitchen (my apartment is just big enough that the wi-fi stopped just short of the kitchen table, the only surface I can use as a desk). Early this year, that router died. I was able to get a replacement under the warranty, but setting it up was not so easy.
            I thought I am computer savvy enough to figure out how to set up the new router myself. But after plugging it in and going to the Airport Utility (I have a Mac), the first step asked if I wanted to “switch networks,” and I had no idea what that meant. Switch from what? Would this affect my existing network? And what’s the password for my wi-fi network anyway?
            Just as a test, I chose another network on my base station Airport, and discovered that neither of what I thought were the passwords worked. Oh, dear. I knew there is a way to discover my password in the Airport Utility, but just searching around, without guidance, failed to find it for me. So the extending router has been sitting on the table next to where I usually work, flashing yellow, for months.
            Finally, yesterday, I went to the Apple Store. Finally, I also googled* “how to find password on Airport Express” (should have done that months ago). The Apple Store person helpfully suggested I call 1-800-MyApple and have them walk me through the process. Okay, I thought, that sounds easy.
            Today, I figured I’d try it myself one more time, so I’d know exactly where the snags are when I talk to the 1-800 people. First, I followed the instructions on “how to find password on Airport Express,” and after some hunting around (they didn’t apply exactly to my system), I found the password—and wrote it down. Next, I went to my laptop to set up the router. That, too, turned out to be quite simple once I accepted that I had to tell it to “switch networks.” Flashing yellow light turns to green, and go!
            Success in the computer world, and I didn’t have to call anyone at all. Just me and my computer, all’s right with the world.

*Usage mavens, do you think “google” as a verb has become sufficiently common that it can be lowercased? Or will Google come after me with the legal letter asserting its trademark rights?
-->
--------------------------------
It’s Slice of Life Tuesday over at Two Writing Teachers. Check out this encouraging and enthusiastic writing community and their slices of life every Tuesday. And add one of your own.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you overcame your techy troubles! It is empowering to solve a problem like this on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. Maybe that's why I was able to get some other of my to-dos done today that have been piling up for a few days.

      Delete