Monday, April 6, 2020

Poems Before I Die, 3


We entered the pandemic maze
ignorant of what was ahead of us.
The walls were distant:
China, Iran, Italy.
As the walls closed in
we waved good-bye
to our family, friends, neighbors.
“See you on the other side,”
we called out, thinking
the other side would be like
the side we were walking away from.
Not thinking
some of us would never see
the other side,
Not thinking
the other side would be
totally different.
As the walls closed in,
each pathway narrowed
to fit one person.
Each pathway filled
with dry brambles,
thick with thorns.
We had to keep moving,
even as brittle twigs
scoured our legs and arms,
crumbled into our hair.

#National Poetry Month

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this moving poem. I especially was moved by, "Each pathway filled
    with dry brambles, thick with thorns" because I feel this new "pathway" is hard.

    Thank you for sharing and for reminding me about Poetry Month. Do you have a resource of poem ideas? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alas, I don't have a resource for poem ideas. A few years ago, I found a website where one could post one's "poem a day" for April, and he had prompts, but I no longer have that link. I think it was from some writing magazine. I wish I could help.

      Delete