Sunday, March 28, 2021

SOL March 28: Steven Wright's Deadpan Humor

My slice the other day about walking led Brian Rozinsky to comment that it reminded him of a quote by the comedian Steven Wright: “Everything is within walking distance if you have the time.”

            I love Steven Wright. Ever since I saw him on a comedy special, I’ve loved his playing with words. So Brian’s comment sent me on a quest for more Wright. Thus:

            `“Why do we drive on a parkway, but park in a driveway?”

            “I spilled spot remover on my dog. He’s gone now.”

            “I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.”

            “I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.”

            “I bought a house on a one-way dead-end road. I don’t know how I got there.”

            “I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.”

            “For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.”

There are lots more here.

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 14th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 28 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have check him out! Thanks for sharing some laughs with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad to introduce you to this truly funny guy.

      Delete
  2. I love Steven Wright! I once saw him do his gig live. Hilarious! Thanks for the link to more great quotes like: "7 percent of statistics are made up on the spot!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was going to include that quote, but thought I'd leave it for discovery by others! So glad you got to see him live.

      Delete