Tuesday, October 24, 2017

SOL Tuesday: From the Archives


Today’s slice of life is something that happened many years ago, March 1980, to be exact.
            At the time I was copy chief at the Village Voice, in charge of three copy editors, a legal researcher, and six proofreaders. One of the proofreaders had gone on an extended vacation to Indonesia. On March 17, I got this telegram from her: “Wallet passport stolen national holiday red tape cannot return 3/24 paradise lost.”
            A few days later I got an air letter (remember those?) with more detail. She was on Bali, it was the Balinese New Year. She was hoping to get to Jakarta, where the American embassy was, but with no money, and no American Express office on Bali, it might be difficult. (Her letter noted that the airport she was sitting in kept playing a loop of Jimmy Cliff’s “Sitting in Limbo.”)
            A couple of weeks passed, and I heard nothing more. Was she all right? Had she managed to get to Jakarta? Was she still sitting in limbo? How to find out?
            In the days before e-mail and cellphones, I turned to the traditional. I called the State Departent. Explained the facts about my employee, and asked whether there was any way they could find her.
            Indeed, there was. I forget how it was done, but they found her on a beach. Got her a new passport, got her on a plane, and she was back in New York by early April. What an adventure, both for her and for me. I did feel like a mother hen, but what if she really had disappeared? 


4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a crazy story. I'm sure that she could write a fascinating slice from her perspective as well. Thank goodness you followed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am going to get in touch with her and ask what she remembers from that vacation. And if she's still annoyed that I sent the State Department after her.

      Delete
  2. I love the fact that you remember this from so many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered the outlines, but not the details or all the telegrams and letters that went back and forth. If I hadn't saved them...

      Delete