Tuesday, April 16, 2019

SOLTuesday: Notre Dame


            I’ve been to Paris only twice and never went inside Notre Dame. My last trip, in September 2016, I went to the Ile de France and to another church there, St. Chappelle, which is beautiful. But when I got to Notre Dame, there were long lines, and I can’t stand for long without sciatica pain. So I’ve missed all that was burned inside. 
 
           I did, however, get this photo of the “zero point” from which all distances from Paris are measured. It’s embedded in the flagstones in the large place in front of Notre Dame. Later that day I crossed one of the bridges from the ile to the mainland and saw hundreds of padlocks attached to the railing. “Locking our love” I was told they symbolized. Jack was the true romantic in our relationship, so in honor of him, I bought a padlock and attached it.
-------------------------------------
It’s Slice of Life Tuesday over at Two Writing Teachers. Check out this encouraging and enthusiastic writing community and their slices of life every Tuesday. And add one of your own.

4 comments:

  1. I didn’t realize it was the center of Paris until today. I’ve never been to Paris but I have a sense of awe and loss. I’ve seen the locks in several of my favorite romantic movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hadn't known Notre Dame was the center of Paris until I saw the flagstones in front of the cathedral.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this memory. I love the emphasis on love and the locks. I love the honesty about what you experienced at Notre Dame.

    ReplyDelete