Thursday, March 21, 2019

SOL21: On Hold, Again...


            Yesterday I posted an experience of stubborn perseverance (redundancy?). Today I engaged in some stubbornness, then gave up.  
         I got my cable/Internet bill today, with a welcome one-time rebate of about 40 percent and an offer of 3 free months of HBO or 6 free months of Showtime. It seems my cable/Internet provider has made a settlement with New York State because it didn’t provide the Internet speeds or coverage it had promised the state it would. I guess this is the company’s punishment, although I’d also like to have that Internet speed as well.
            The offer included a telephone number “to redeem your offer.” So I called. Of course, the phone was answered by a recording, and you’d think it would have been easy to program that recording to let me choose my HBO or Showtime channel. But no such luck. It took me a while to figure out what “problem” I had to tell the recording so it would connect me to the correct “representative.” I was on hold for maybe four or five minutes, but within a minute of a human being answering, my smartphone dropped the call.
            That just made me want to dial that number again. This time, I got past the recording more quickly, but that just put me into telephone hold musicland faster. And I was there for 30 minutes. Thirty minutes! I hung up because it was getting late and I had to eat dinner.
            Will I try again? Probably. Once I decide whether to go with HBO or Showtime. What’s your choice?
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 12th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 1 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


No comments:

Post a Comment