Thursday, March 19, 2020

SOL19: Canceled Events


            I’m a member of the Museum of Modern Art and the Film Forum, so I get their calendars in the mail, and collect calendars from other institutions (Symphony Space, Center for Jewish History, Independent Film Center) just in case I want to see some event or other.
            But with so many institutions closed for social distancing, some of these calendars are listing events that will never happen. Maybe they’ll be postponed to future dates. But some of the exhibits at the museums will be gone because their end dates fall in the closed period. The multimedia installation “Handles” by the Korean artist Haegue Yang closes in mid-April; fortunately, I have seen this. But will the museum reopen by May 17 so I can see the textile exhibit, “Taking a Thread for a Walk”? Or by May 9, for the retrospective of Dorothea Lange’s photographs? I hope so, but who knows at this point.
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 13th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 19 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

2 comments:

  1. "Who knows at this point?" is right. We're in such a strange, charged limbo. Take care, my friend. I hope I'll get to see you sooner rather than later. It would be a relief to be on the other side of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes. Can we do Facetime? oh, you don't have an iPphone, do you?

      Delete