Thursday, March 29, 2018

SOLSC: Baseball!

-->
            The baseball season opened today—oddly, in the middle of the week, and in late March, not Monday or Sunday night in the first week of April.
            I watched the New York Mets single and double against the St. Louis Cardinals, beating them 9-4. Not one home run, and that’s a good thing. Noah Syndergaard did give up two home runs, but he also struck out 10, including striking out the side in the third inning, which was part of a five-strikeout string.
            It’s not unheard of for the Mets to win on opening day. The team lost its opener its first eight years; in fact, the Mets won the World Series, in 1969, before it won an opening day game. But since 1969, the team has won 35 and lost only 12 of its openers.
            I loved watching all the old familiar players (Yoenis Cespedes, Jay Bruce, Asdrubel Cabrera), young guys (Brendon Nimmo, Amed Rosario), and new ones (Adrian Gonzalez, Todd Frazier) play well together and produce. I do wish they hadn’t left so many runners on base, but they certainly scored enough runs. I’m looking forward to spring, summer, and fall—the long season.
            Are you a baseball fan? Do you go to games?
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 10th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 29 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


2 comments:

  1. I am absolutely a baseball fan. The Rockies are playing tonight in San Diego, and I was bummed to find out that I don't pay for the channel that the game is on. I am going to have to fix that! I keep checking online, though, right now we are down 2-3 in the top of the sixth. Hoping for a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry your Rockies lost, and sorry that you're going to have to pay extra to get your baseball channel. I see that Street & Smith's Baseball yearbook has both my Mets and your Rockies third in their divisions -- we'll see about that. For now, play ball!

      Delete