Thursday, March 22, 2018

SOLSC: Memory Stutter-step


            Yesterday I had lunch with a friend, who reported the latest in a soap opera occurring in her university department. That reminded me of a Facebook post I’d seen recently about a more theoretical discussion of departmental hiring, which I tried to recount to my friend. But my account wasn’t very clear, my friend said she’d need to see it, so I said I’d ask the poster’s permission to send it to her.
            On returning home, I promptly forgot that I was going to do any of the above.
            This morning as I was getting dressed, I remembered the conversation with my friend, and what I’d offered to send her.
            This lapse of many hours between my knowing something and remembering to do that something is not a function of age. It’s been true of how my mind words for many, many years. It used to drive my husband crazy that I’d have a conversation with our daughter one day, and tell him about some piece of information I’d learned from her the next day because I had “just remembered it.” He could not understand how that could be true. But that is just how my mind works.
            How does your mind and memory work? Do you notice odd quirks about yourself that don’t seem normal, but are normal for you?
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 11th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 22 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


No comments:

Post a Comment