Friday, March 30, 2018

SOLSC: Tax Day


            Today I met with my tax accountant at H&R Block. I brought all my documents and notes on expenses. TA methodically went through all my 401(k), pension, and freelance forms, and I must have had everything because he didn’t have to ask me for anything, like he did a couple of years ago, when a former employer had failed to inform the new 401(k) administrating company that one former employee (me) was required to take the minimum distribution. (That was a hassle and a half.)
            This time everything went smoothly, if slowly. I had to decide whether I wanted my state
refund direct deposited or sent to me as a check. There was a small penalty deducted from my also small federal refund, and TA spent quite a while trying to figure out what the penalty was for. If he found out, he didn’t tell me, and I didn’t ask. (I wanted to be done.)
            Finally, he printed out the whole return, still to be submitted electronically, as well as the vouchers for my estimated taxes and the address slips. He picked up scissors and announced, “I will now use a skill I learned in kindergarten.” Which meant he cut off all the excess paper from the address slips and vouchers, and placed each set in an envelope—so I wouldn’t have to do that myself.
            We had a brief conversation about how useful kindergarten is, not only for teaching how to use scissors but also for socializing and teaching how to work well with others. I said, “When I was in kindergarten, my teacher wanted me to tell the boy who sat next to me not to stand on his chair to look out the window.” She was trying to socialize me into the feminine role of making others obey the rules.
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 11th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 30 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


5 comments:

  1. congrats on getting your taxes done early - I am a Turbo Tax kind of guy

    Did you tell the boy not to stand on his chair or did you join him on your chair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did tell the boy to sit, once. He ignored me, of course, I was just another kid. So I decided it wasn't my job anymore.

      Delete
  2. Everything we learn, we do so in KG. YA?

    Best wishes.

    Purviben
    http://trivediziemba.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. somebody wrote a book with that title...

      Delete
    2. https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2399046-all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten

      Delete