Tuesday, March 15, 2022

SOLC 15: More Cooking

Today I followed a recipe. It’s a very good recipe. I had made this dish before. Cod & Harissa Tagine with Olives and Almonds. I found it in a magazine called Milk Street, published by the man who 

started America’s Test Kitchen and put out “Cooks Illustrated,” a magazine in which articles described how the recipe testers tried different methods, which ones worked and which ones didn’t. I still follow their method for roasting vegetables. 
       The cod tagine is Moroccan, and the harissa is a somewhat spicy red-chili paste. The harissa is cooked with garlic and thinly sliced fennel, while the cod fillets marinate in a harissa-turmeric-olive oil paste. When the fennel is soft, the fish goes into the pot with just a bit of water to scrape any browned bits in the bottom of the pan. The fish cooks pretty quickly, just giving me time to zest a lemon and squeeze out its juice. When the fish is done, stir in the zest and juice.

            It’s to be served with toasted almond slices and chopped stuffed green olives. I do add the almonds (often not toasted), but I’ve never liked stuffed green olives so leave them out. I should have taken a photo of my plate, but here are my leftovers. 

           (Sorry for the amateurish layout. Blogger is very poor at this.)

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 15th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 15 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment