Friday, March 4, 2022

SOLSC 4: Writing

I was telling a friend today who’s always only written for publication what the Slice of Life Community was like. So I wrote this to explain my relationship to writing, which is quite different from hers.

 

            At some point I realized I have often/always? been writing. There's a scrap of paper I'm having trouble finding right now on which I wrote as a child: "My name is Sonia and I am 5 and a half. There is a boy, his name is Mark and he is 4. The baby is Carla, and she is 2. Mommy is 30 and Mr. Jaffe is 31." (yes, at 5 I wrote about my father as though he was a stranger.)  I remember being 11 or 12, sitting in our car in town while my mother shopped, writing furiously in one of those black and white composition books about who knows what, because rereading it a year or so later, I was disgusted at my younger self and threw the notebook away. Did that a couple more times through high school, always throwing away. In 9th grade i wrote a very derivative short story about a girl who dressed up as a boy so she could do something interesting (this was a Western, she was a cowboy on a ranch; I had been reading Zane Grey). When she's injured, either falling off a horse or trying to rope a calf, the boy who's her co-worker, and who she has a crush on, has to take off her shirt and discovers she's really a girl. I forget whether they fall in love or she's humiliated and runs away.

            Started a diary again in college, which I kept up sporadically for a few years. But made the mistake of showing something I'd written to the young man (Jack) who I eventually married; don't remember what he said to me about it, but I read a letter he wrote to his best friend in which he made snide comments about it, so I stopped writing again. (A few years ago, after he died, I found a packet of letters he'd written to that friend, who'd returned them to Jack a few years earlier. Reading through them, I realized that in that period of his life, he was snide about *everyone* even people I know he liked and considered friends. And I also noticed that there was nothing else in the packet after a letter about having met me. I think he threw out all the later letters with their snide or less flattering comments about me — just the sort of sweet thing he would have done.)

            The summer before I got pregnant, I was reading Anais Nin's diaries and thinking, I want to keep a diary. This time I will really do it, and I won't throw it away if I reread bits and don't like the person I seemed to be at that time. So that's how my 50+ years of writing, sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much, in what's now called a journal came to be. And eventually I became a writer who occasionally gets published.

------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 15th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 4 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

 

 

7 comments:

  1. I am glad you included the instance that made you stop writing. Criticism from others or ourselves can indeed be stifling, disabling us from living out our truest selves. I am happy to hear you eventually got to a place in which you could put aside the judgment of others and stay true to your rawest self. Insightful post - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read with interest the various ways you made space for your writing and then later decided to pitch it. But the writing happened. That's what matters. The desire and the act continued to pop-up. I find a lot of resonance in your slice today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever it is you keep coming back to do is what you need to do. That is true.

      Delete
  3. It's never too late to become something you want to be. A writer does not have to be an elite group... everyone is welcome. I'm glad that even before becoming a published writer you saw yourself as a writer. Happy 15th year of slicing friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's true, a writer is a person who writes. For herself or for an audience. Happy slicing!

      Delete
  4. Wow. This slice made me think about my own relationship with writing. I've written ever since I was 12. When I was 18, my Mom tore my diary to shreds because she read something she didn't like. I stopped writing for a while after that - and when I started it was on and off. I always chicken out of getting published even though I have siblings and friends who always say good things about my writing. I'm slowly rebuilding a writing life and I'm loving SOL.
    Thank you for this slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom should never have been reading your diary in the first place, so too bad she was nosy. But I'm glad you are writing again. Know that every published writer has been rejected many times — I heard the novelist Marlon James on the radio the other day say his first novel was rejected 76(!) times before finally being accepted and published. Keep on writing!

      Delete