Tuesday, March 29, 2022

SOLSC 29: Me and White Supremacy

I need to apologize.

            A year ago, a subgroup of one of my book groups read, a few chapters a month, Layla Saad’s “Me and White Supremacy,” a “workbook/journal” for white people to, as the subtitle says, “combat racism, change the world, and become a good ancestor.” The chapters address such topics as white privilege, white silence, color blindness, racist stereotypes, much more. We discussed the questions at the end of each chapter intended to get us to think deeply, tried to understand. But I have to admit that partway through the book, I began to feel annoyed: The chapter on “Me and White Superiority” ended with one question: “In what ways have you consciously or subconsciously believed that you are better than BIPOC? Don’t hide from this. This is the crux of white supremacy. Own it.” I did not feel that I could “own” this. My parents raised us to not think we were better than anyone else. Just because I was smart didn’t mean I was better than people who weren’t as smart. We had books telling us that people of all colors are all human. Saad’s examples of white superiority did not, I felt, match my experience.

            Okay. I need to apologize. Words I have written in the past week reveal, not so much white superiority, but a white-centered consciousness, insufficiently aware that certain words slide into stereotype even when that stereotype is not one that I hold.

            Case one: Last week, I had watched a bit of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson’s questioning by the Senate Judiciary Committee as a nominee to the Supreme Court. Marsha Blackburn’s grandstanding was enraging to watch. When the camera showed Jackson standing as the hearing ended and walking out of the room, I felt the anger I imagined she felt in her bearing. So I posted to Facebook: “...I think I could feel her anger at how her own record was being distorted...” Not until the next morning, after hearing on news reports commentary on how Black women’s anger is viewed as threatening (while white men, cf. Brett Kavanaugh’s temper tantrum at his Supreme Court nomination hearing, get angry with no consequence), did I realize I’d left out two important words: “totally justified.” If indeed Jackson was angry, she had every right to be. So I went back to Facebook and added those words. But they should have been there in the first place. While I don’t think I see Black women’s anger as threatening, I need to be more aware that other white people do, and be as careful as I can when using that word.

            Case two: My slice yesterday was about two surveys I took that day. The second one was one of those opinion things where the company may have had multiple clients, since the question about “topics in the news” had nothing to do with the earlier survey questions about music and the devices I listen to. The news topic was about Will Smith slapping Chris Rock, after Rock make a “joke” about Jada Pinkett Smith’s hairstyle, and whether I thought it was acceptable or not acceptable. I wrote in my slice about seeing the camera on Pinkett Smith’s face and that she looked angry—even as I wrote it, I wondered if that was the right word. But at the moment, I couldn’t think of any other word, so that’s what I went with. And in my slice, I also wondered whether this was the most important topic in the news, given the continuing war in Ukraine.

            This morning, after listening to all the Black voices on the radio talking about this issue, and reading the slice of a friend, I realize I had once again fallen into white-centered consciousness, and used “anger,” which might have been appropriate, or maybe not. The word that had eluded me last night was “upset”; Pinkett Smith looked upset. I’ve edited my slice to change “angry” to “upset.” But thinking more deeply about my response to what happened, was I trivializing the incident? Did one Black man becoming so angry at an insult to his wife that he lost control and behaved badly on nationwide TV, did that seem like “spectacle” to my white eyes? Did it seem like part of “celebrity culture,” something I don’t pay much attention to?

            I loved Will Smith in the Men in Black movies. I’ve liked Chris Rock when he was on SNL. I had no idea he had made a whole film about Black women’s hair, so he should have known not to make jokes about a Black woman’s hair. I had no idea Pinkett Smith had alopecia. But my ignorance should not have led me to dismiss what happened in front of millions of viewers as “no big deal.” It’s certainly a big deal for Black people, on many different levels. Pay attention to what those are.

            But what to do, as a white person? I do need to be more aware of my words. I need to think more deeply about my responses. I need to not unconsciously assume whiteness is the center and Black people are on the periphery, are accessories to the culture. It’s constant work, but work that must be done. I need to talk about this. I need to be more antiracism, not simply not racist. And I apologize for my slippage.

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 15th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 29 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

11 comments:

  1. A brave post. I don't think I've stopped by this year, but I recognize your blog from previous years. Too many folks for me to keep up with this year. Trying to be more aware of my words too, but sometimes I end up afraid to speak for fear of going wrong. You are so right that it's constant work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is constant work, but I remind myself that Black people are constantly Black, and they can't decide to take a break from how other people see them.

      Delete
  2. Being antiracist is constantly disrupting our own implicit biases and working to do better. Owning it. From personal experience, once I owned it, I noticed it everywhere, from my upbringing to the systems we have in place. And you are right, this constant work is necessary. Thank you for your honest post and the invitation to talk about these issues rather than to ignore or deny it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! It is difficult, but has to be done.

      Delete
  3. I love this post! Would it be okay if I shared it with the BAR-WE group I have after school tomorrow, either copied or paraphrased? It's okay if the answer is no. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In case you don't know, BAR-WE is Building Anti-Racist White Educators...

      Delete
    2. yes, but would you let me know what school you're at, what age kids you teach, and what your group's reaction to the post is? Thank you.

      Delete
    3. I am at Mt Nittany Elementary School and teach 4th graders. Unfortunately we had two months of discussions to get through so we did not get to your blog post. The consensus is that we would like to discuss it at our next meeting. I hope that is okay. Again, thank you for your thoughts and being vulnerable!

      Delete
    4. thank you! it's certainly okay whenever you get a chance to talk about the issues, and I'll still be interested to know how the discussion goes. Fourth-graders can be so interesting. I've never taught little kids, only college students, but I had a nine-year-old one year (she's way grown up now), and she was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  4. I’m thinking about that quote saying “the right word is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug.” I didn’t watch the Oscars and have missed the hearings because I’m traveling; however, I did catch up on the slap. I didn’t voice an opinion on social media but did respond to one person criticizing Will Smith. He and his wife have been the target of malicious Hollywood bullying for over a decade. Sometimes I think we white folks just need to step back and listen rather than put a megaphone to our reactions and let communities of color show us how to react and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I've always liked about you is your willingness (and ability!) to keep learning, to circle back and rethink. I'll admit that seeing the word "angry" in both of your posts was a bit of a flag for me. The word is just so loaded for us. And, too, I suspect that exhaustion in the case of Judge Jackson, and sadness, pain, humiliation, embarrassment, and shame in the case of Pinkett Smith probably trumped anger. Thank you for coming back to post this!

    ReplyDelete