Thursday, April 2, 2015

Poem a Day, #1 (secrets)

All right, I'm a day off. The prompt for today’s Poem a Day Challenge on Robert Lee Brewer’s “The Writer’s Digest” blog is “secrets.” Here’s my entry, among more than 700 (as of 6:30 p.m.; Day 1 had 1,118 entries!).

I have no secrets.
I have stolen my brother’s bravado, my sister’s curls.
I have lied to my mother and forsaken her thin precepts.
I have killed my father’s faith in revolution.
I have worshipped the images of words on a page, on a screen.
I have many gods; they reside in books, movies, music, in the trees, the sky, the ocean and rivers.
I make idols every day that I write.
I take the names of my gods and scatter them afar, to seed wonder and beauty.
I have coveted, oh, how I have coveted. My desire runneth over.
I wear my secrets like armor.
My desire is manna.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you decided to jump in! There were 1,005 posts on the Asides blog when I uploaded mine just now. I love that there are so many committed 30/30 people out there. I hope we all get through the month!

    ReplyDelete