Monday, March 30, 2015

Slice of Life, #30


            I had a doctor’s appointment this morning on East 63rd Street. Afterwards I walked across town to Columbus Circle. If it had been spring-like, instead of simply springtime, I would have walked through Central Park, but it was too breezy and too cold for walking anything but the most direct route, almost a mile and a half.
            At the southeast corner of the park, Fifth Avenue and 60th Street, I came across this structure.

It’s a public art work by Tatiana Trouvé , an Italian artist who's created three “spool racks” that respond to the miles of walkways throughout the park. After looking at maps, Trouvé found 212 paths in the park; then, she estimated the length of each one. There are three structures containing 212 spools, one for each of the pathways, and the cable wrapped around each spool approximates the length of the path. And each spool has a metal plate identifying the beginning and end point, as well as a name that conjures the cultural significance of walking.

            The spool racks will be up through the end of August. If you’re in New York City, stop by to see them. They are impressive, and may just lead you to try walking one of the paths memorialized by a spool. Pick the one with your favorite color, perhaps, or one of the black spools. And check out the Public Art Fundfor more information and more public art in New York.
            Here's another spool rack.

5 comments:

  1. Well I won't be in Central Park any time soon, maybe not even in my lifetime. But thanks for sharing and what a cool idea. Makes me think it could be a way to inspire students to measure and commemorate their favorite walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. finally figured out how to reply to my commenters. I think that's an excellent idea to try with your students. Let me know how it works out.

      Delete
  2. Neither will I again but it brings back memories. I also collect and share place-making public art on my local community pages ~ this will be a treat for local muralists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I just might be there soon - very soon - and I thank you for the slice of Central Park. There is always something happening there - springtime, spring, wintertime, winter.......all year round. PS I hear it will hit 50 this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (finally figured out how to reply to my commenters) I hope you get to see those spools -- and the Central Park Conservancy is renovating that corner of the park just at 59th & Fifth, so I'll have to get back soon to see what's happening there.

      Delete