Monday, March 9, 2015

Slice of Life, #9


            It was in the 50s today, and the sun was spring cleaning. The sidewalks looked like the inside of an old-fashioned freezer being defrosted. As the pavement warmed, snow mounds began to melt from underneath (I feel the need to apologize for the litter of cigarette butts, even though none are mine) as well as angular frozen piles softening on exposed surfaces.*












Isolated snow piles resembled icebergs.









Some tree wells were still filled with snow, while in others the snow had melted fast.










One shop owner jump-started the softening process with a hose, 
while around the corner others attacked the frozen piles with shovels.

The warmer day with its heaps of dirty snow evokes my inner five-year-old. I crunch the edges of a snowbank with my shoe and watch it crumble. I kick a chunk of snow down the sidewalk like it's a soccer ball. I wish I had a little shovel so I could dig out my own snow cave. 
--------------------------------------------------------------
* March 9: I must apologize for the confusing placement of the photos. Blogger's editor is clearly not WYSIWYG -- the pictures are supposed to be in  pairs. I must have chosen a very poor template for mixing text and visuals. At least now I know what I need for a template with the most flexibility. 
** March 31: I found a way to create a layout that displays these photos somewhat the way I wanted them. Much, much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment