Monday, March 9, 2015

Slice of Life, #8.5*

J. and I were watching a spring training game on TV between the Mets and the Red Sox. Gary Cohen, was one announcer, a longtime sportscaster for the Mets. The other voice was new, yet sounded vaguely familiar.

Around the fifth inning, two outfielders came too close to each other, leading Cohen and his associate to reminisce about a time 10 years ago when Mike Cameron and Carlos Beltran did collide while each dived for a ball neither caught. Beltran had a concussion, and Cameron had numerous facial injuries and was never the same player again. The unknown announcer remembered seeing the collision from left field -- and immediately, I knew he was Cliff Floyd, one of the Mets' better left fielders. When I said it, J. remembered that he'd read that Cliff Floyd was going to do some sportscasting for the Mets this year.

I'm a big baseball fan, but not one of those obsessives who can name every lineup for my team back to its beginnings. Every now and then, though, a trivia fact will surface, and I will know something I didn't know I knew. It was fun.

*I've already posted to the Slice of Life Writing Challenge, but this was something I wanted to write about today, as well.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, love baseball, but not to the point of obsession. My husband, on the other hand, is VERY into baseball. He always seems to be checking the scores or listening to sports radio or ESPN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that you had to justify your second post of the day - and it dated for MONDAY anyway. I'm not a big baseball fan but my 93 year old Aunt is a BIG ONE...and knows ALL the YANKEES. SIGH, she doesn't like AROD though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I post it on Monday, but I was still awake from Sunday, so it was Sunday as far as I was concerned. I'm with your aunt about A-Rod. He seems an extremely narcissistic person. But if he hits well, I'll bet most Yankee fans (if not your aunt) will not hate him quite as much.

    ReplyDelete