Friday, March 3, 2023

SOL March 3: Transport

            I went to one of my three book groups tonight. This was the second time we’ve met in person since Covid started, and a couple of people there had missed our first in-person last month, so it was like a second first time.

            I had to go to Brooklyn. By public transit. I love public transit. I can read a book, I don’t have to worry about other drivers, I don’t have to pay a small fortune for a taxi or car service since I live in upper Manhattan. Both Google Maps and MTA.info said it would take about an hour. But that’s in some ideal world.

            I only had to wait a few minutes for a No. 1 train at 110th Street & Broadway. Two stops later, I got out to switch to an express, and a No. 2 train arrived as I walked across the platform. And I got a seat, so I could continue to read the book for one of my other book groups, which is meeting tomorrow at noon.

            Two stops later, at 42nd Street—Times Square, I got out and walked up steps to get to what I hoped would be an N train. (The N train would take me to Brooklyn, where I could switch to an R train to get to my stop, Bay Ridge.) The N is an express, only now it’s not an express in Manhattan. It runs on the same track as the R train, in Manhattan. Here a Q train, another express, came by, then another Q train. I didn’t know if or where the Q train met up with the R train in Brooklyn, so I let them go by. On the local track an R train appeared. The R is a local train, so it will make every stop there is. I was going to need the R train eventually, so why not get on it now? Or should I wait for an N, that will eventually become an express? Maybe I should get on the train I know will get me where I want to go. And I got a seat on the R.

            Two stops later, the R stopped — and stayed in the station. For more than 10 minutes. Occasionally, a voice came over the PA system, but I couldn’t make out what it was saying. I texted my book group that I being held in a station. Eventually, we got moving and made our way, local stop by local stop, to Brooklyn.

            But wait, one more delay awaited me. At 59th Street, where I would have switched from the N express to the R local, I was informed that the R I was on was going to skip the station I needed. I would have to get off and wait for the next R train. It was only a couple of minutes, but I seemed destined to be as late as possible for my book group.

            They did wait dinner for me, and I got a glass of wine. And now I know the right way to get to this area of Brooklyn. 

------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 3 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


2 comments:

  1. I love how you wrote about loving public transit in the beginning of your piece--what a great contrast to the frustration of how long the trip took! And the contrast between how easy and smooth the beginning of the trip was, as compared to the rest of the trip--the timing of how you reveal the details of what happened on the trip made it really fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was fun to write, more fun that the ride was.

      Delete