Monday, March 13, 2023

SOLSC March 13: Buy Nothing

            Have you heard of the Buy Nothing Movement? It’s local communities committed to sharing goods they no longer want with others who can use them — so stuff doesn’t get thrown away and go into landfill.

            When I cleaned out a closet a few weeks ago, I found suitcases (without wheels) and rolls of bubble wrap. I also still have a dozen books about Holocaust from cleaning out a bookcase. What to do with all this stuff I don’t need anymore?

            Someone suggested looking for a Buy Nothing group, and I found one in my neighborhood. On Saturday I posted photos of the suitcases, the bubble wrap and other sheets of plastic, and a list of the books. The next day there was interest in everything.

            I next had to arrange days and times for pickup. Today, I handed off one roll of bubble wrap, and tomorrow I hope to hand off the rest of it. Someone will be coming tomorrow to take one of the suitcases. And two people want all of the books, so we are DM’ing so they can arrange to come at the same time and divvy up the books.

            If you’d like to know more about Buy Nothing, here’s its website. There’s an app, but my neighborhood group is using Facebook, and I’ll stick with that. I have too many apps already.

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 13 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


3 comments:

  1. I love those groups! It deifnitely helps me to purge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movement is new to me, though it sounds like one I heard about a while back that went by the name of Freecycling. One person's trash, another's treasure; never goes out of (somebody's) style :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Buy Nothing group! I'm not organized to have a full Yard Sale, and anyway I would have to move the stuff to another space until the yard sale and the BN group helps me get rid of stuff quickly!! One mans trash is another mans treasure in real life!!!

    ReplyDelete