Friday, March 31, 2023

SOLSC March 31: Scary

            It feels like I skirted death today.

            I was about to cross Riverside Drive, the walk sign had just flashed on, and I took a step forward. Looking to my left, I saw a car coming up the hill. But it was not slowing down. From the sound of its engine it was speeding up. Indeed, it sped right through the red light, right through where I might well have been walking if I had assumed it would stop at the light.

            Forty years ago in May my daughter, then 10, was hit by a car on Riverside Drive, four blocks further up. That broke into my mind after the car had passed, after I crossed the Drive safely, after I sat on a bench to post to FB what had not happened. She’s recovered from her injuries, but it was a long haul. When she mentions the accident now, no one understands what she went through because she seems normal now.

            I kept seeing that silver car speed past me, past the red light, and wondered what that story was. 

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 31 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!



No comments:

Post a Comment