Sunday, March 26, 2023

SOLSC March 26: Too Busy a Day

1. I wanted to go to the outdoor exercise/dance class in my neighborhood this morning — I haven’t been since the fall because it’s too cold. But during the eight-block walk, it was windy, too windy, and while it got over 60 degrees later in the day, it wasn’t there yet. I had to give up.

2. On to the farmers market, where I got my weekly supply of apples, as well as carrots and brussels sprouts — and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.

3. Next, supplies for lunch at the Lebanese supermarket. Can of chickpeas for making beet hummus. Pitas. Eggplant and chickpea salad. Tomato and cucumber salad.

4. Home to make the beet hummus. But I can’t find the recipe. I had a printout from when I first made it, but it wasn’t among my recipes. I searched through twice, until I realized I was wasting time.

5. To the computer to search for the recipe. Had to look at three or four before I found the one I wanted, at theforkedspoon.com. (Do try this, it is delicious.)

6. But when I first opened up the computer, I saw an e-mail from a friend who’d invited me to go to the theater with her. She’d already bought her ticket online, and now she was letting me know what her seat was so I could get one near her. But I was halfway through the ordering process when the website said “Error page not found.” I had no time to call the box office for help.

7. Start the hummus, then my daughter arrived. Christie was coming for lunch and the continuation of a sewing lesson.

8. But first we were attending a Zoom session of Women Writers in Bloom Poetry Salon, a writing community I’ve been part of for 10 years, and Christie also came to occasionally. Because of Zoom, today’s group had women from Los Angeles, Georgia, Alabama, and Trinidad and Tobago. We talked about our plans for National Poetry Month, and I mentioned the Golden Shovel poem form<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/27/at-home/golden-shovel-poetry.html> using New York Times headlines as source. One of the women on the Zoom said that based on my description of this form, she’d written a Golden Shovel poem, and it was published!

9. After the featured poet reading at the Poetry Salon, we left to get on with the sewing. Christie is making a dress from a 1950s pattern that fits her body type, but she needs guidance. She’s about 75% done, and today’s sewing created a problem that required a bit of ripping out and redoing.

10. As we moved on to the next step, I began to feel the third of what might be Covid symptoms. (I’ve still not had Covid.) The home test I was about to take had expired last November. I had to get to the nearest urgent care center, and it was going to close in 45 minutes. Christie said she’d clean up. I reminded her to take half of the beet hummus. Walked to the urgent care. They gave me both a Covid and a flu test. Both negative! Whew.

11. Walked over to Riverside Park and sat on a bench, watching the sun. Now it was much warmer than it had been in the morning.

12. After dinner, it was time to do the laundry. And write this slice. End of day.

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 26 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment