Sunday, March 12, 2023

SOLSC March 12: Another Movie (spoiler alerts!)

            Don’t read this if you haven’t yet seen Everything Everywhere All at Once.

            I  watched the movie this afternoon, and it does want to stuff everything in everywhere all at once. I’m not sorry I watched it, but I didn’t like it much, and it missed a couple of ends it should have taken.

            Many reviews have said it’s multigenre in being about multiuniverses, but all I could see were the domestic drama–immigrant style and action movie–kung fu style. The underlying story—spoiler alert!—that merges the two: the mother-daughter conflict of the domestic drama and the evil genius out to destroy every single one of the universes, became annoying and boring to me as soon as I became aware of it. And the mother-daughter reconciliation of the near end was pure Hollywood sentimentality.

            There were indeed many moments I liked, many funny moments, and the nods to all the classic movies were like a film quiz, even the obligatory 10 million years ago 2001: A Space Odyssey. I wanted it to end with the two mother-daughter rocks and the mother rock’s joke about language, when each one in turn says “ha ha ha.” I wanted the screen to fill up with “ha ha ha”s, and then the credit roll. But no, there was still a lot of movie left to go.

            I never wanted to “walk out” (I’ve ever walked out of a movie once in my entire life), but I wish that martial arts hadn’t been the default for so many scenes. Even when Michelle Yeoh’s character, Evelyn Wang, tries to solve things with her husband’s kindness, it looks like a fight scene. The movie is trying to be about too many things at the same time, which its title certainly tells us. There’s no secret there. 

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 12 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


No comments:

Post a Comment