Friday, March 24, 2023

SOLSC March 24: Dancing, ’70s Style

            I’ve been reading my journals from 1975 and 1976, when I had just started working at the Village Voice. One of the things I wrote about in those journals were the Christmas parties, which later on were often held at whatever the hot club of the season was. In my mid-30s by then, I knew the only time I’d ever get into those clubs was at the Voice Christmas parties. The Limelight, the Tunnel, Heat were among them. Did we go to Studio 54? I can’t remember. The Tunnel, as I recall, was dark, so dark that a friend I’d invited and I never found each other. The music was loud, so loud you couldn’t have a conversation.

            But I didn’t go to these parties to have conversations. I was there to dance, dance, DANCE, with anyone, everyone, and if no one was available, I’d dance by myself.

            So today I went to Spotify and found a mix giving me every song that takes me back to those nights. So much so that I’ve gotten up to dance myself around my living room. Earth, Wind, and Fire’s “September,” Donna Summer’s “On the Radio,” Fred Wesley’s “House Party,” Kool and the Gang’s “Fresh” (okay, that’s the ’80s), A Taste of Honey’s “Boogie Oogie Oogie,” Leo Sayer’s “You Make Me Feel Like Dancing,” CHIC’s “Everybody Dance,” Sister Sledge's "He's the Greatest Dancer," so many more.

            Maybe you have to be of a certain age for these songs to conjure memories and make you move. But if you like to dance, track these down on Spotify or YouTube, and maybe you’ll be up and dancing too. 

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 24 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


1 comment:

  1. I am impressed that you still have your journals from the 70s! Your opening paragraph sets the tone and sends me back in time - I was a preschooler then. All the songs you listed get my toes tapping and my body moving. Thanks for the retrospective. Heidi C (wordsmithing blog)

    ReplyDelete