Thursday, March 16, 2023

SOLSC March 16: A Walk with a Hint of Spring

            It was almost 60 degrees here in upper Manhattan when I went out for a walk in the late afternoon. I walked over to Riverside Drive, which runs alongside Riverside Park. The park is full of lacy trees, waiting for the right number of warm days that tell them it’s time to put out buds and leaves. Thanks to Daylight Savings Time, the sun was still fairly high, and the air was clear, courtesy of the Clean Air Act (something to thank Nixon for). It was easy to see New Jersey across the Hudson.

            I walked along the Drive from 112th Street to 120th, then down into the park among the semi-wild. Back up to the Drive and 112th Street, where I followed a woman and her toddler into what’s called a “tot lot” and swung on the rubber-seat swing for a few minutes — possibly the first time I’ve done that in many, many  years. Those rubber seats are very uncomfortable, best if you are small, like a child. 

            Parts of the walkway alongside the park need a lot of repair. At one point, caution barriers surround a particularly bad area, to keep bicyclers, runners, and walkers away.

            Back up to my block, and home. I’m looking forward to many more walks into the park when the trees are all leafy and the air will become balmy. Only a few more days until the spring equinox.


-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 16 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!
 

 

 


3 comments:

  1. My daughter called me tonight as she walked across Bryant Park. She was taking the long way to the train because it was so "nice and warm out." I'm in Chicago, and I'm so very jealous. It's not so "nice and warm out" here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your weather passes by and isn't on its way to us!

      Delete
  2. I'm also in NYC! it was beautiful here today - someone told me "it helped them get some of their sparkle back" which I loved!

    ReplyDelete