Friday, March 17, 2023

SOLSC March 17: Unintentional Urban Theater

            I was at the post office this afternoon to buy stamps. There were about eight people ahead of me in line, but three people working, so I didn’t expect it to be a long wait. When one clerk became available, I noticed the older woman at the head of the line motion for the person behind her to go ahead. “I don’t want to go there,” the older woman said, loud enough for everyone to hear. I didn’t quite follow what was happening, but I soon found out.

            The older woman moved to the next clerk who was available, and as she passed the clerk she’d avoided, she said, “We had a bad exchange last year. I’m not going through that again.”

            The clerk who’d given her a bad time last year did not want to let this go by. She was behind layers of heavy plastic, so I could not hear her replies,  but the two women continued their feud for several minutes. The older woman was buying a money order. She also announced that she was a member of a labor union. This also prompted some reply from the clerk behind the plastic.

            The older woman said, “I don’t need to be disrespected like that.” And more back and forth.

            Meanwhile, those of us still in line were mostly avoiding each other’s eyes — until a man with the Puerto Rican flag on his cap joined the line. He seemed bemused by the dialogue being shouted, but changed the subject by announcing he knew what his plans were for the evening; at 8 o’clock he’d be tuning his TV to 400. I perked up, knowing that meant he was going to be watching the World Baseball Classic. “Puerto Rico is playing Mexico, and Puerto Rico is going to win,” he said. “Too bad for the Mets, though. Any Mets fans here?” Time for me to add to the theater — I knew the Mets had lost their phenomenal closer for the season, seriously injuring himself as Puerto Rico was celebrating a win a couple of night ago.

            A man at the head of the line said he was a Yankee fan, and P.R. man said he was too. And then there was some discussion between them about what would happen if the U.S. team got to play the Puerto Rican team in the World Baseball Classic in the next round. The first Yankee fan demanded to know who P.R. man would support if that happened. P.R. man started to give a long answer, but the Yankee fan wouldn’t let him say anything that wasn’t immediately, “U.S. team.” P.R. man clearly had more he wanted to say. I said, “It’s a hypothetical. You don’t have to answer a hypothetical.” But that was too legalistic. Yankee fan wouldn’t let up. And finally, P.R. man said, “I’ll be happy whoever wins.” That satisfied the Yankee fan, and they shook hands before Yankee fan when off to the next free post office clerk.

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 16th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 17 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Lots of drama at the post office! The baseball discussion sounds like a mostly fun interaction. I enjoyed seeing this moment in time through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete