Tuesday, February 16, 2021

SOL Tuesday: Phone Tsuris

             (I never learned much Yiddish, but this is the only word, meaning aggravating trouble, that adequately captures my feelings.)

            Yesterday, I wanted to buy a new flannel nightgown, so I went online to L.L. Bean  and found that the pattern I wanted was sold out. Maybe they would be getting more soon? I decided to call.

            I got the recording, punched in the proper number, but the customer service person who answered the phone couldn’t hear me. Funny. I hung up and tried again. Another customer service person couldn’t hear me. I use earbuds with my cellphone, so I tried another pair, calling twice more, and still, no one could hear me.     

          Maybe the problem was my phone. I called a friend. She couldn’t hear me either, with the earbuds, but when I unplugged them, she could hear me fine, so it wasn’t the phone. (I seem to hear better with the sound plugged directly into my ear; don’t know if that is a function of my hearing or the fact that cellphones have no obvious earpiece.) Later in the day, I talked to my daughter on the phone, with earbuds, and no problems. Go figure.

          Today I tried to call L.L. Bean again. The first time, the phone hung up in the middle of the recording. The second time, the phone hung up after I reached a customer service person. Third time, finally, everything worked the way it is supposed to. I spoke to a customer service person — and learned that all the flannel nightgowns are sold out... until June. 

         Technology: can't live without it, and can't live with it.

-------------------------------------

It’s Slice of Life Tuesday over at Two Writing Teachers. Check out this encouraging and enthusiastic writing community and their slices of life every Tuesday. And add one of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment