Monday, March 21, 2016

SOLSC Day 21: Busy


I don’t know what to write my Slice about today, since there’s been so much. So I’ll just make a list.
  1. I went to my first bereavement group this morning. There were four of us bereaved and two social workers, two who’ve lost husbands, one who’s lost a wife, and one who’s lost her mother. I’m not the worst-off person emotionally — I almost feel lucky. Is that okay?
  2. I walked down Broadway from 32nd Street to 18th Street and to Taste of Persia, delicious Persian stews from a corner of a pizza parlor. Taste of Persia started as a food truck, but was so popular that it moved into this permanent space. I had a delicious stew of okra and other vegetables.
  3. Back home, I made several phone calls involving financial matters. I also got a phone call from my doctor after my annual checkup; she said my bad cholesterol was bad enough that I should start taking statins, and I also have to add a lot more vitamin D to my supplements.
  4. In the evening I went to a Conversationson Race and Other Diversities with Johnnetta Betsch Cole” at the CUNY Graduate Center. The participants included academics, the host of a public radio show Micropolis, and a former NFL player-turned-activist against sexism and homophobia. They managed to discuss intersectionality in plain English.
  5. I walked over to Broadway and up to 42nd Street from 34th Street, and got in my 10,000 steps for the day.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy day, lots of steps and yummy food anyway. I remember when my mom went to bereavement group after my dad passed away. She would always sort of put people on a scale of who was doing ok and who was less ok. I thought of her scale when I read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd say that the other two women are doing okay, and the man is definitely not doing okay.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a busy day, lots of steps and yummy food anyway. I remember when my mom went to bereavement group after my dad passed away. She would always sort of put people on a scale of who was doing ok and who was less ok. I thought of her scale when I read this.

    ReplyDelete