Tuesday, March 29, 2016

SOLSC Day 29: Focus Group Questions


I just got a phone call from Advance Focus, a market research company looking for people for a Democratic Party focus group next week. First the woman calling had to see if I qualified.
            My age was okay, my employment status (semi-retired) was okay. But then she asked what my occasional work was. When I said, “freelance copyeditor,” that disqualified me. “Publishing” was one of the industries they didn’t want.
            Why? I didn’t ask that question, but could it be that I’m assumed to be too well informed? I’m not average enough? Does it distort any focus group in New York City to exclude media workers, since media industries are a major sector of the city’s economy? So many questions: I'll ask the focus group of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment