Sunday, January 21, 2018

Essay #3: Letters, Keeping in Touch with Comics, Part 2


Other comics we (my brother and I, at least) read included Pogo and Mad magazine. It wasn’t until years later that I learned we may have been reading Mad from its inception in 1952. When you’re a kid and you find a new comic or magazine, it doesn’t occur to you that it never existed before.
            Mad was obviously subversive, making fun of everything in sight. Was it the take-offs on TV shows that made them silly, or sillier? Was there political satire I might, or might not, have noticed? Being the child of semi-closeted lefties, I already knew not to believe everything I saw on TV; I wasn’t reading newspapers much until I was a senior in high school.
            But how did we know Pogo was subversive? Was it the reworking of Christmas carols (“Deck us all with Boston Charley,/ walla-walla-wash and kalamazoo/Nora’s freezing on the trolley/Swaller dollar cauliflower, alley-garoo”)? Was it the recurring character protesting, “Destroy a son’s faith in his father?”
            Once I left home, I probably kept up with the comics in the Washington Post the two years I lived in that city. And we read the few comics that were in the New York Post once Jack started working there, and continued to get the Sunday Daily News for our full fix until the 1990 strike at that paper, when we got out of the habit and never went back.
            As an editor at the now defunct publisher Bobbs-Merrill, I was happy to include comics in Pepper Schwartz and Janet Lever’s 1971 book about the early years of women being accepted as students at Yale, Women at Yale: Liberating a College Campus. They suggested we use comics from then-student Garry Trudeau. Working at the Village Voice, I got to copy edit the comics of Jules Feiffer, Stan Mack, Mark Stamaty, Matt Groening, Lynda Barry—just to make sure their words were spelled correctly, nothing more.
            But I wasn’t a big fan of comix or zines. The misogyny of the drawings of women had become repugnant rather than an element to be overlooked. But didn’t Dykes to Watch Out For run in Ms. magazine? I know I read that comic. And there were lots of feminist political illustrations that I think of as “comics,” like the famous on of two women walking down a staircase in the background, while one of their dates waits nervously; the overline: “Careful, honey, he’s anti-choice.”
            Of course, I read the graphic “novels” Maus, in 1986; Harvey Pekar’s Our Cancer Year, in 1995; and Persepolis, in 2003. Why of course—because these comics had literary claims? Many of these new graphic “novels” were personal, which seems especially suitable to the combination of illustration and text. Maus’s subject, the Holocaust, lent its gravity to the format. The image of young Iranian girls turning their hijabs into horse reins or robber masks in Persepolis demonstrated a perhaps unconscious subversion. Graphic novels are now an established form of literature, comics grownup.

No comments:

Post a Comment