Thursday, April 1, 2021

30/30: First of My 30 Poems in 30 Day

Last Sunday I learned about the Golden Shovel format for a poem: take a line from another poem or any text and write a poem in which each line ends with a word from the text, with last words being in order. Example: take this line from a poem: “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood”; the first line must end with “two”; the second line with “roads”; the third line with “diverged”; etc. I’m going to try to write a poem a day in April, for National Poetry Month, following the New York Times’s “At Home” project to start with a headline from the day’s papers. Here’s my first attempt.

 

In search of meaning I am finding

there is little in the common

lore to explain the ground

on which we stand, likely

because our different lives tend to

hide our similar desires to be

living, loving beings. It is an uphill

struggle, but I will continue to fight.


No comments:

Post a Comment