Wednesday, March 2, 2022

SOLSC 2: What I Liked and Hated About a Job

 
More from my journal 50 years ago. I was working as an associate editor for a book publisher (Bobbs-Merrill) that no longer exists, and working myself into a tizzy between the parts of the job I liked and those I hated.

“I do know what I’m good at: I’m a good editor. I am very good at rewrite and organizing and putting a ms. into good shape, into a workable book. I’m also a good copyeditor. The thing is, I don’t want ot have anything to do with authors. In my mind they beocome enemies to be fought with, not over what they’ve written, but over non-editorial matters like scheduling, ads, promotion, jackets, titles, things an author isn’t supposed to worry about.”

            So could I continue to work for a small publisher, when I would have to be involved with those parts of the job I hated, or could I go work for a large company as a manuscript editor where I would have to deal with bureaucracy and paperwork, which I knew I also hated. In a way, it was fortunate that I was also five months pregnant, which once my daughter was born became a legitimate reason for me not to go back to full-time work there.

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 15th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 2 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I love that you have kept a journal that you can look back on and see how much you have grown as a person. I have journaled pretty consistently for the past 6 years and I think it has been great to use to look back on and see how for you have come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete