Saturday, March 26, 2022

SOLSC 26: Another Small World Story

            I love small world stories, you know, when you discover someone you know also knows someone else you know, and you had no idea. One of my favorites: An American I’d met in my world with women in Eastern Europe in the 1990s gave me her book about her Fulbright time teaching in China in 1980. I sent the book to my mother, who had made several trips to China in the 1970s and 1980s. Surprise! my mother already had a copy of the book, having met the author when she was on her book tour 10 years earlier.

            Today’s small world story was slightly different. I was having coffee with Robin, a woman from my neighborhood. We’d met over a year ago at our neighborhood weekly Black Lives Vigil and often chatted, but hadn’t got beyond that until today. Over coffee we exchanged life stories and learned that we both had known, years ago, a man named Cedric Belfrage. Belfrage was a British writer and a leftist (he’d briefly joined the Communist Party in the 1930s, and co-founded the National Guardian, a radical weekly in the U.S.). He lived in the U.S. for several years until deported in the 1950s, when he moved to Mexico. When I worked as a book editor in the early 1970s, I signed Belfrage to write “The American Inquisition,” a history of McCarthyism. Robin, it turned out, was married to a Mexican whose parents knew many leftists in that country; Belfrage and his wife ran a guesthouse in Cuernavaca, and Robin and her husband visited there many times.

            Six degrees of separation? Sometimes it feels like there are only 5,000 people in the entire world, and we each know every one of them.

            Do you have a favorite small world story?

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 15th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 26 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

 

6 comments:

  1. What a crazy, crazy story! I can't think of any small world stories I know, but now I'm wanting to look for some1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world stories are there if you just know how to ask. I was on a small tour to Cuba six years ago, only 12 other people on the tour. I went to Antioch College, which is not all that well-known. It turned out that two other people in this small group had a connection to Antioch, one woman who's son had gone there for one year, and another woman who had gone to a satellite campus.

      Delete
  2. It is definitely crazy how small this big world is! A decade or more ago, I did a research project about social networks, and even at that time, the "best guess" was that with the advent of digital social networks (Facebook, et al.), the degrees of separation was reduced from six to three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a small world it is. I had a student teacher one year whose first name was the same as my own maiden last name. A bit of research, found a common ancestor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is so cool! I have so many small world stories. My daughter was on a summer court in Europe about 20 years ago. While having breakfast at a cafe in Geneva, she heard English spoken, so she introduced herself and asked where the man and his son were from. "The great state of Vermont," he replied. Oh, my daughter said, where in Vermont? My aunt and uncle lived in Vermont, and it turned out this man lived in a nearby town and had heard about my aunt, who was active in community organizations. Who could have imagined.

      Delete
  4. I love these stories, too. Sometimes the connections are uncanny and makes you feel like the world is not as big as it seems. 5,000 people exactly!

    ReplyDelete