Tuesday, May 11, 2021

May Golden Shovel poem #11

source: Ready or Not, It’s Covid the Musical

 

He’s auditioning for a role, whether he’s ready

for the political world or

It is ready for him. He is not

Your usual politician. He believes it’s

Not too late to smash the pandemic of covid.

He has a plan for recovery of the

Economy, by giving everyone a part in a musical.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

I’m continuing to use Terrance Hayes’s Golden Shovel poem format, as proposed by the Sunday New York Times "At Home" section, for 30 Poems in 30 Days during National Poetry Month.

 

Take a newspaper headline that attracts you.

Use each word in the line as the end word for each line in your poem.

Keep the end words in order.

Describe the story that the headline is for.

The poem does not have to be about the same subject as the headline that creates the end words.

 

2 comments:

  1. Red Emma, thanks for your Golden Shovel today. I was fascinating to see that headline about a Covid musical. I hadn't heard of that yet. I love the idea of the plan for recovery including giving everyone a part in the musical. Lovely idea:

    "He has a plan for recovery of the
    Economy, by giving everyone a part in a musical."

    I too am writing #MayPoems this month, not golden shovels, like you. I've written this kind of poem before, but never with a headline, so I will add your inspiration to the list of poems I'm writing in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Sonia, I did write a golden shovel poem today from a quote I heard in an interview with President Biden. https://mrsdkrebs.edublogs.org/2021/05/13/redemption/

    ReplyDelete