Tuesday, May 4, 2021

SOL Tuesday: Warning from the Copy Editor

For about 12 years now, I have been tweeting occasional rants on the language, and sometimes punctuation, misusages I come across in print. I’m WarnfrCopyEditr (Twitter only allowed 15 characters when I signed on, though now seems to permit more), and here is my latest today:

 

I did not know that writers are now "curators" when they write a book. Makes me want to tear out my hair!



 

What do you do when you see mistakes in print and know your students may also see mistakes and think they must be okay if they are in print? 

-------------------------------------

It’s Slice of Life Tuesday over at Two Writing Teachers. Check out this encouraging and enthusiastic writing community and their slices of life every Tuesday. And add one of your own.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Shows you what I know. I didn’t see it as a misuse. I used to take pictures of poor punctuation and spelling examples in the real world. My husband wasn’t as amused as I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was your husband a teacher or work with words? My husband had been a reporter, then a copy editor. Sometimes we would argue about what was a misuse and what wasn't. Do you know the FB group, the Absurd Sign Project? That is full of photos of stupid signs, and more than misspellings or bad punctuation. https://www.facebook.com/groups/297427905079419

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! Shows you what I know. I didn’t see it as a misuse. I used to take pictures of poor punctuation and spelling examples in the real world. My husband wasn’t as amused as I was.

    ReplyDelete