Wednesday, March 7, 2018

SOLSC: Messy Weather


            It rained, then snowed today, but I had a date with my daughter to see Black Panther at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn. So I put on my boots, got my walking sticks, and set out into the weather.
            There was just a bit of slush in upper Manhattan, but when I got out of the subway in Brooklyn, the snow was coming down at a 45-degree angle. Not nice. I’d never been to the Alamo, so when I turned away from the driving snow, that turned out to be the wrong direction. I had to ask three people before I got to the theater, just in time to see all the trailers.
            (If you haven’t seen Black Panther yet, do not hesitate. It is highly entertaining, and has a social justice, and feminist, message among the superhero exploits.)
            After the movie my daughter set off to see another film with her husband, while I tried to find my way to a different subway than the one I’d arrived on. I’d looked at my Google Maps and thought I knew where to go, but once on the street, the streets didn’t accord with the map. And there was slush and snow everywhere, and growing pools of melted snow at the intersections. I stopped in a Century 21 to consult my phone, asked a man on the street, went in the direction he pointed me in, and ended up in a McDonald’s to consult my phone yet again. Asked a woman on the street, and she pointed me in what turned out to be the right direction. It wasn’t the stop I’d been aiming for, but it was the right train.
            I want to add that without my walking sticks, I would have been slipping and sliding, and possibly falling. They helped keep me steady, and I strongly recommend them.
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 11th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 7 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


No comments:

Post a Comment