Sunday, March 18, 2018

SOLSC: Mansplaining?


            On the subway home from my book group today, I was sitting next to a young woman. She was with a young man who was standing in front of her. They were speaking Spanish.
            That is, he was speaking Spanish. In the almost 10 minutes I was on the train, he spoke almost constantly, while she sat, hands in her coat pockets, sometimes nodding her head. Once she asked a question. Otherwise, she said nothing.
            I don’t understand Spanish so have no idea what he was ranting about. From his tone of voice, it did sound like a rant. What was she thinking? I wondered. (Was he mansplaining? I really should learn Spanish, if I’m going to eavesdrop on subway conversations, or monologues.)
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 11th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 18 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


3 comments:

  1. I love the humor in this! Too bad you'll never know the answer to your questions. :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I love the word "mansplaining" that is so cool (is there a female version?!) I live in India and don't understand most of the conversations around me when I go out...sometimes I want to know, sometimes I don't. Such a fun slice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you're interested, here's the essay that generated the term "mansplaining" (subsequently out in a 2012 book): http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175584/rebecca_solnit_the_archipelago_of_ignorance
      I don't think there's a female version -- that would require a change in power dynamics.

      Delete