Friday, March 2, 2018

SOLSC: Falling, Again


            After losing then finding my phone yesterday (in yesterday’s Slice of Life story), I went to dinner at one of New Orleans’s most famous, and oldest (since 1840), restaurants, Antoine’s. The food was delicious (soft-shell crab with butter-almond sauce and a roasted corn side. Along with food a very good chardonnay. I mention the wine because it may have contributed to what happened later.
            After dinner I set out to walk back to my B&B. When I got to Bourbon Street, the crowds of people in the street and music coming from all the clubs and bars lured me to join them. I strolled along for a few blocks until the crowds thinned.
            As a car approached from behind, I thought it was time to get back on the sidewalk. Unfortunately, I picked a spot where a driveway curved into the sidewalk, and as I stepped up, my foot landed badly, and I fell forward. Not as badly as two years ago, but in protecting my head, I jammed my finger against the pavement.
            Passersby stopped to help. A self-styled street person said he’d seen many people fall where I had, then asked if that made me feel better. (It did.) After severa; minutes, I gathered myself and got over my shock. They helped me to my feet, and one couple walked me up to the main street, and I walked, gingerly, back to my local home.
            The B&B proprietor had a good first aid kit, and I went off to bed wondering how sore I’d be in the morning.
            By which time, my skinned knee felt fine, but my left pinky was very painful whenever I bent it. So off to an Urgent Care clinic to see whether there was any broken bone. Fortunately, there wasn’t. And the x-ray tech gave me this brace (left) to hold the pinky and its neighbor steady—the C component of R(est), I(ce), C(ompression), and E(levate). 

-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 11th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 2 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment