Sunday, March 4, 2018

SOLSC: Runners on the Streetcar


            Today I set out to ride the St. Charles streetcar from one end to the other. First, I had to get to the Canal Street end, at the edge of the French Quarter. I thought that the Rampart streetcar would do it, but it turned north, the wrong direction. I had to get off and take the streetcar going the opposite way. As soon as I got on, I was offered a seat by a young woman in a yellow T-shirt with a message about the Humana Rock & Roll 10K race.
            “Did you run the race?” I asked. I knew about it because the weekend event had made it a bit difficult for me to find a place to stay for my week here.
           “Yes,” she said, and the woman sitting next to me weighed in that their drunk friend over there, pointing to a woman in a seat across the aisle, “she’s the oldest one of us and she's the fastest of all of us.”
            We all got on to the St. Charles streetcar at Canal Street and continued on our way. There were six women in their running club, from St. Louis, and they ‘d all come to run in the Rock and Roll 10K. Laura, who I sat next to, explained that the parents of Meghan, another of the young women, live in New Orleans and they were all staying with them. (The parents live in the Garden District, an area that includes mansions in many architectural styles. I have no idea what sort of home Meghan’s parents have.)
            Laura waved at everyone outside the streetcar who would wave back. Meanwhile, she told me about Heather, who was watching a livestream of her daughter’s soccer game this afternoon; Sarah; and Marie, the fastest. Marie will be 50 in a few months, and she’s planning to run a race in Hawaii for her birthday.
            Meanwhile, Laura became a bit antsy about when they were going to get to their destination; she desperately needed a toilet. And when she saw a (very tastefully designed) McDonald’s, she decided it was time to get off. So the running club from St. Louis all departed. 
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 11th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 4 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


1 comment:

  1. Such a fun slice of your experience with strangers, all women who have are there with, yet tethered to their loved ones at home. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete