Wednesday, March 14, 2018

SOLSC: Busy busy busy busy busy

            Today was full of activity.
            Morning, start cleaning up the living room since writers’ group is coming this evening.
            Noon, dentist visit downtown.
            Shop for food, since I usually make a protein of some sort. Today I plan to make a miso-ginger chicken salad. I did buy the rotisserie chicken yesterday, so today I just need the white miso and some vegetables. There’s an Asian food market (and a second one opened up recently) in my neighborhood, but I had to ask for the white miso, since I didn’t even know what section to find it in.
            Back home, I have to call the bookkeeper for my physical therapy place; they sent me a
bill for several visits back to 2013, and I spent a couple of hours over the weekend researching my canceled checks so I’d be prepared to prove that I’ve paid for all but one of the visits. But once I reach the proper person, she doesn’t even know about all the earlier “charges,” and says all I have to pay is the Medicare deductible for this year. I am so annoyed at having wasted all that time, as well as the energy anticipating what I’d thought would be an argumentative phone call.
            Next, a couple of hours of free-lance copy editing work that has to be done today.
            For the chicken salad, I have to make the dressing, which takes half an hour, partly because I thought I could mix it up in the small food processor, and it turned out it needs the big one. Then I have to shred the chicken off its carcass, which takes much longer than I expected, an hour. Pulling it all together takes another 15 minutes.
            Back to the living room to finish cleaning up, which mostly involves piling all the papers together and putting them in my bedroom. Cheating, I know, but I’m running out of time.
            Finally, I print out the three pieces the writers have sent for our perusal this session. Fortunately, everyone is late so I have time to read two very good short stories, and a series of e-mail comments on a film script we discussed last month.
            And the first person arrives...
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 11th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 14 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

1 comment: