Sunday, March 10, 2019

SOL10: Missionary Work?


            I was walking up Broadway from the grocery store this evening when I heard a voice in the distance. It was clear who or what it was: some sort of conflict on the street? a car radio turned up loud?
           As I got to my street, the voice was louder. Looking around, I noticed a man standing across the street and up the block a bit. He was preaching. It wasn’t clear at first what religion he was preaching, but soon it appeared to be some form of Christian. And his voice sounded amplified. That was different.
            Some years ago, an older Haitian man walked up and down Broadway, usually in the spring and summer, chanting, “Hallelujah, hallelujah, God loves you, God loves you,” over and over. But he hasn’t been seen for quite a while.
            Proselytizing is not common in my neighborhood. If it hadn’t been so cold, I might have listened a bit longer to hear his points, just out of curiosity. I wonder if the preacher won any converts.
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 12th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 1 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


No comments:

Post a Comment