Saturday, March 2, 2024

SOL March 2: My Life in 50 Objects, #14

In 1991, I was one of several co-founders of the Network of East-West Women, an organization to support women activists in the former communist countries of Eastern Europe, where women were rapidly disappearing from public life in what were still, in many cases, patriarchal cultures. A few years later we supported a workshop on women in the region initially based at NYU and now at the City University of New York, where (mostly women) scholars, activists, journalists met monthly to hear reports or analyses of what was happening in the various countries concerning women, feminism, and gender. About 20 years ago one of our speakers was Nurgul Djanaeva, founder of the Forum of Women’s NGOs in Kyrgyzstan. She gave me this little ceramic as a representation of Kyrgyz women.

NEWW still exists, headquartered now in Poland and working with the European Women’s Lobby, among other groups.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a unique project you have to document your objects. I have learned something new today. I'd like to know more about your experiences with this group. This little figure holds an interesting story.

    Interesting aside-on my walk this morning, I stopped by a Little Free Library and found a book called The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. It's about a character who keeps finds lost objects in hopes of reuniting said object with their owners. Your post reminded me of the title.

    Do you plan to share other objects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely sharing more objects from my life. And I have to look for the book you mention. Along that line, I live in a big apartment building. The staff have been collecting various interesting objects they find in the trash and created a case in the basement where they've placed them like an exhibit. It's quite fascinating, not only the things people have, but also the things they throw away that are not really trash.

      Delete
  2. Such a great way to document why objects are important and reminders of so many experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you are doing this. I am excited to here more about the things you cherish in your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more, so I hope you are following.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea to document your objects. It will be treasured by those who come after you as it gives them a record of your life. It will allow them to learn about parts of your life that happened before they came along. I wish I had this for my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like your other readers, I am inspired by this project and looking forward to following your writing this month. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are more. I hope you are following along.

    ReplyDelete