Friday, March 1, 2024

SOLMarch 3: My Life in 50 Objects, #13

I was working as copy chief at the Village Voice in the 1980s. This meant, among other things, that I was the liaison between editorial and production. I wanted someone to give me a token of my authority, especially in my attempts to enforce writers’ deadlines. Instead, I had to find that token myself. I no longer remember where this little gavel came from, but it was exactly what I wanted. I waved it at recalcitrant writers — who paid no attention most of the time. I’d have liked to have it larger (it's only five inches long), but still, it had a graceful look on my desk. 

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 17th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 3 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


 

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, the Voice! I haven't thought about that publication in a very long time. When I lived in NYC (Chelsea, to be specific & a little nostalgic!), that was the key to knowing what was going on and, more importantly, why. I love that this gavel had a small role in getting the news to my youthful self. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you want to know more about the Village Voice, an oral history just came out, titled "When the Freaks Came Out to Write." It's totally fascinating.

      Delete