Tuesday, March 19, 2024

SOLSCMarch 19: Be Prepared

            I have to have some blood work done today, so go to a nearby lab. At the reception desk is a sign saying that the person sitting there at the computer is doing other work, so I should use the automated check-in kiosks against the far wall. (One of the two kiosks is not working.) I’m a good girl and follow instructions. At the kiosk I have to show a photo ID, so I put my expired driver’s license under the reader. It’s accepted. Then it’s not clear to me if the medical insurance info is up-to-date, so I do the same with my insurance cards. Nothing changes on the insurance info page, so maybe I didn’t need to do any of that. At the end, there’s a survey asking how my check-in experience was, and I click on 1. I hate online check-ins.

            Before I finish, a man comes and talks to the woman at the reception desk. (I guess he’s not a good boy.) He says he has a 2 p.m. appointment, and it’s not even noon yet! Does he plan to sit here for two hours, or does he hope to get whatever he needs done earlier? Two people were waiting when I arrived. Four more have come in since.

            After maybe five minutes (I’ve done about half of the newspaper’s daily crossword puzzle), the woman at the reception desk calls my name and asks for my paperwork. A couple of minutes later I’m sent to Room 3. The nurse/tech is a 7.5 on inserting the needle. And I’m in and out in just half an hour. Not nearly as bad as I’d expected (an hour, two hours?).

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 17th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 19 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


No comments:

Post a Comment