Saturday, March 16, 2024

SOLSCMarch 16: Easter Eggs


            No, not the hidden message ones — a meaning I only recently learned from the Strict Scrutiny podcast (which is about the Supreme Court, not about video games).

            No, this is a real Russian painted Easter egg. I think I got this one from Valentina Uspenskaya, political scientist and founder of the Association of Independent Women's Initiatives, as well as women’s studies at Tver State University, in Tver, Russia, neither of which may still exist. Sadly, I have not kept in touch with her over the years, and do not know how she is faring in the authoritarian and patriarchal Russia of Putin.

            I also once had a Ukrainian painted Easter egg, from one of my students. The designs were quite distinct from the Russian ones. Alas, that one broke some years ago, and I had never thought to take a photo of it, so cannot show you the differences. Images I find online show some alternative designs.

-------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 17th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 16 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

 


3 comments:

  1. I learned how to make Ukranian Easter eggs (pysanky) years ago, and last year bought a bunch of supplies but never actually made any eggs. If I make eggs this year, I'll make one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Blogger is annoying me by making all my comments anonymous. It's Stacie.)

      Delete
    2. it doesn't give you a choice of Anonymous, Google, or Name? These blogs are getting very annoying. Wordpress is sending most of my comments to TWT to spam, so I have to notify the leader for my group to get it out. And thank you for the Easter egg if you do make them.

      Delete