Sunday, March 17, 2024

SOLSCMarch 17: 50 Objects, Political Buttons

 


            I have a huge collection of buttons collected over  the past 60 years. Several years ago, when I still had an office, I pinned some of them to black strips of cloth and hung them from bookshelves. But I still had many others, which have been residing in two envelopes in the top of a closet.

 


           Today, I went to the Museum of Art & Design to see if I could find a bowl or basket to hold the buttons. There was this lovely ceramic, handmade by Ana Martin (her name is etched on the bottom), and a label on the bottom reads “This is Latin America.” So I don’t know what country Ana Martin is in, but I’m guessing Mexico or Central America.

            The subject matter of the buttons is varied: anti-censorship, pro-union, feminist, political campaigns, antiwar, and some just generally opinionated. Here are some of them.







 


 -------------------------------------

I’m participating in the 17th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 17 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

 

2 comments:

  1. How fun to see the variety of buttons you've collected! (And sad to see the ones that still need wearing.) I love the image of these sayings "spilling" out of the ceramic bowl's head. What a great metaphor for our thoughts! I'll bet you have many stories connected to those buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That would be an interesting project, to see what I remember about each of those buttons and how I came to have them. There's a button whose photo I meant to include, and I'll do my slice about that tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete