Friday, March 13, 2020

SOL13: Coronavirus Update, Part 3


It may be Friday the 13th, but I got lucky today.
            I got a call this afternoon from a former student, who lives just a couple of blocks away. She asked how I was doing, and then offered to shop for me if I wanted to maintain my “social distancing.”
            At first, I thought, that’s really sweet, but I don’t really need that. I went out to the farmers’ market yesterday, no problem, and shopping in my local grocery the day before. But then, I began to reconsider.
            Not only am I over 70, but I also have a condition that does put me at slightly higher risk, my pulmonologist told me. I feel okay, though I have a chronic sinus drip and sometimes have trouble sleeping so, yes, I do feel tired. Maybe I should forgo shopping and take up this friendly offer.
            I inventoried my freezer and found 15 meals there, plus in the pantry some cans of tuna and a lot of grains and dried beans. But I was about to run out of Ak-Makcrackers, which if you haven’t tried them, I strongly recommend. So I asked my student if she could get me a box. And she did, along with a box of vinyl gloves, which I had been hunting for and hadn’t found in local drugstores.
            Now I do feel equipped to sit out this pandemic, which I hope will be done sooner rather than later.
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 13th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 13 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!


1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for your former student. Such a lovely offer! And now I'll have to check out ak-mak crackers!

    Hmm ... and realizing that, as I am also in an elevated risk population, our Maison Kayser dates will have to be on hold for the time being. :(

    ReplyDelete