Tuesday, March 31, 2020

SOL31: A Walk in the City


            I took a walk today in early evening. The sun was momentarily bright, then fell below thick clouds over New Jersey. Very few people are on the sidewalk along Riverside Drive. A runner goes by the car lane, but there are no cars. A doorman stands by the curb, waits, six feet away, until I pass, then returns to his post by his building’s entrance. I am the only person wearing a mask on this stretch. Where there is scaffolding and the sidewalk is narrow, I walk in the street. I cross the Drive to walk alongside the park. The sun shines golden on the Hudson River. A city bus passes, and it feels shocking that people are still on public transit while I am not. I sit on a bench facing the river. Usually I sit facing the wide path to watch people going by, but I don’t want to see anyone walk too close to me. Most of the the playgrounds are closed with a Caution sign that playground equipment is not sanitized. One playground has a family. A young man walks by wearing a mask. A bicyclist has a boombox putting out calming music.
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 13th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 31 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post because it creates such a stark contrast to what life is "normally" like when you go out walking. To me, it read like the opening to a movie. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete