Saturday, March 14, 2020

SOL14: Coronavirus Update, Part 4


Yesterday I said I would sit out this pandemic and took up my former student’s offer to shop for me. Then, this morning, a good friend called and asked to have lunch. She lives in the neighborhood, so I would only have to walk a few blocks to a restaurant that is never crowded (though the food is good). I said yes.
            We spent an hour talking about the coronavirus and what we believed and didn’t believe. She’s been much less cautious about it than I have, riding the subway, meeting people. In fact, her lunch date for today with two other friends had canceled on her. I had slept pretty well and think what I feel is just the common cold.
            After lunch, I went grocery shopping—and spent $84 on what is mostly staples. I’d been in California last month, so my refrigerator had been almost emptied, and I hadn’t gotten around to replenishing staples. So...
2 boxes Nature’s Path Heritage Flakes
a dozen eggs
1 liter olive oil
1 liter 2% yogurt
2 small containers of coffee yogurt
half-pound of goat gouda
1-pound box penne
half-pound butter  (into the freezer)
1½ cups milk (I wanted buttermilk, but there was none
1 pint blueberries
1 pint grape tomatoes
5 bananas
a fennel bulb
10 ounces mushrooms
1 pound of salmon
            I would not have felt comfortable asking my former student to buy all of this. I wore gloves throughout and while putting away the food once I was home. I’m still staying away from the subway.
-------------------------------------
I’m participating in the 13th annual Slice of Life Challenge over at Two Writing Teachers. This is day 14 of the 31-day challenge.  It’s not too late to make space for daily writing in a community that is encouraging, enthusiastic, and eager to read what you have to slice about.  Join in!

7 comments:

  1. You tell your truth and we feel the actions and the underlying feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i felt optimistic early, and less so later in the day. Who knows what's best.

      Delete
  2. Many of us feel some kind of way about this pandemic. Your feelings are valid. We all have to do what we can to be safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, and then feelings vacillate. I feel better about "isolating" myself now that I have more food available. I hope you are being safe and healthy.

      Delete
  3. You can't help having an emotional response to this pandemic. But I believe we need to talk about it. It helps us make sense of the world. I'm glad you joined your friend and I'm sure she is too. My friend canceled our outing today. The fear was too great. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your friend canceled your outing, but I hope you had a good, long talk on the phone. I've been calling more friends lately, when before we either met or conversed via e-mail or text. Keep healthy.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to talking with you on Wednesday and sorry we won't be meeting in person!

    ReplyDelete